Monday, November 7, 2011

Beware of the super protective mama. . .

So changes are in order. Our little man is approaching his third birthday (December 2) and we are getting ready for pre-school. The process has been somewhat challenging for us. Prepare yourself because I complain here a little bit! I just can't understand if you are in the "business" then you should know how to choose your words. I am prepared to offer classes in Professionalism 101 because in unprofessional terms- "you suck"! My first conversation started with "Tell me about Carter, is he high or is he low?" My response was "well mam I can tell you about what Carter does well and other areas we may need to work on". Conversation continues with, "let me guess he must be very happy and sociable but is also very stubborn and set in his ways". If you have a child with DS, you may want to knock someone upside the head when they throw this stereotypical remark at you. Umm last time I checked every 2 year old is happy and also stubborn, DS or not. I remember after Carter was born, people would say to me well at least he will be happy all of the time. And I wanted to respond to them by saying my child will be happy because he is loved and treasured, not because he has DS. And if you have met my little man, he has his moments. It's not always ponies and rainbows around here. He experiences every emotion just as a typical child would.After awhile (and more annoying questions and comments) I began to realize that I need to grow thicker skin. I have to prepare myself because this is just the beginning. School is going to bring big changes and new people into our world. People that I will politely need to educate because they obviously missed their Professionalism 101 class in college.We have had several meeting and had to do some assessments with Carter to see what areas we need to work on. Although not sure what these questions, like "when he is in a grocery store does he refrain from touching things?" Or "does he walk on the sidewalk or does he tend to want to walk in the street"? Well let's see being the parent that I am, I don't let him run free in the grocery store and throw things off the shelf nor do I let him run wild in the street. So is this question for my parenting skills or actually have something to do with the way you will be educating my son? Seriously?With all complaining aside I am excited for Carter to start Pre-school, I realize there are a few hoops we will have to jump through to get there but we'll get there. And Mr. Carter along with his mama will teach a few lessons on our way there!

No comments: