Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New babies!!!




Carter has been so lucky to welcome two new friends into the world. Brody Demin Goldsmith was born to Tiffany and Olly. And Ainsely Ryan Lake was born to Meghan and Dave. We got to visit them both last week. I am so happy for both of their families and look forward to seeing our babies grow up together.

With the new babies born I have to say it was somewhat emotional and difficult for me. I would not change Carter by any means but I sometimes think about what it would be like to not have any of the health challenges and other obsicales we may face in his life. Your life can change in a single blink of an eye. I remember driving to the hospital thinking my life is never going to be the same and I am so thankful for that because I can't imagine my life before Carter. I truly feel obligated to do something for mothers that have children born with special needs. The way Carter was diagonosed will stay with me forever, I wish it could have been handled differently. Do not get me wrong, there were a few very considerate, kind, and helpful staff at the hospital, but a couple I would like to have a few words with. I would have much rather talked to someone who has gone through this before, that can actually say- "I know what you are feeling right now but don't worry things will get better". Instead we were handed several packets someone printed off the internet and given the best of luck. Thanks I could have done that myself. I want to make it my goal to change that. I want to show them pictures of my beautiful boy and let them know it is all overwhelming right now but things do get better. Each day is different for me, one day I am on top of the world and ready to take on anything and everything. Other days I could care less about leaving the house and I am worried about every day of my baby's future.This is a whole new adventure we didn't expect it but realize that Carter chose us. He wants to help us change other people's opinions, fears and lives as he did ours.

And just as a side note. Carter is a child born with Down sydrome. Carter is not a downs baby or a special needs child. He is my child first and his condition second. His condition is not who he is. Please just try to remember this when you are talking with a mother. I am sure I was guilty of this before Carter was born but I am very aware of it now. Thank you so much! I promise Carter will teach us all a little something!

***(Somebody had called me and asked me if I was upset when I wrote in my side note. Not at all, I just want to teach people about children with special needs. So if you have said something like this in a conversation with me, I am not upset and still love you. No worries!)***

1 comment:

Ovist Family said...

You are an inspriation to many and I can wait to see how much you and Carter help other families that are going through what you and your husband went through. Carter is so lucky to have you! He is so cute and I can't wait to see his future! Have fun in HAwii!