Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Our big news. . .

 
 
 
 

A couple weeks after Carter was born my pediatrician gave me a phone number to a mother who had a 10 year old boy with Down syndrome. One afternoon I picked up the phone to call this women, not knowing what to expect. I remember being able to introduce myself but then immediately breaking down and not being able to say more then two words. I didn't know then what I know now. I didn't know the power of love this sweet little baby boy of mine would create in our lives. Sometimes I feel guilty for the feelings I had right after he was born but I know in my heart I wouldn't be where I am today without having experienced it. Every raw emotion has fueled and inspired me to be the best mother I can be. I always knew one day I wanted to be strong enough to be the mother on the other end of the phone.

Which brings me to our big news. Shortly after Children's Therapy did the video for Carter, I had an idea. I wanted to share our video with new parents. Helping one family would be amazing. I spoke with Valley Medical Center where I delivered and they were interested in having the video. I also told them I would like to get New Parent packets from the DSC (Down Syndrome Community), so they had current updated materials for parents.
So after my hospital visit I contacted the DSC and sent them our video. Their response was heart warming to say the least. We have decided to work together in sharing our story and showing the community Carter bug's sweet smile. They have asked for Carter to be featured in the new parent packets. And these packets are distributed around the state to hospitals. I am one proud mama and can't wait to be a part of this project. So stay tuned for updates! And mark your calendar for October 7th if you would like to join us for the Buddy Walk in Seattle. My goal is to create the biggest team possible, t-shirts and all!
Posted by Picasa

Thanks to Erin for these pictures that will be featured in the new parent packets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so amazing. You are such an inspiration to all moms. What you are doing is awesome. That carter is sure lucky to have you as his momma.