Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The night Baby Carter was born. . .

First off I want to thank everyone for all of their love, support, gifts, and food. We feel truly blessed to have the people in our life that we do. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Let’s see how much I can write before the little one wakes up and is ready to eat . . . again. Monday night (December 1st) I got home from work and decided to make two very large dinners to stock up for the week (nesting they say) but when it came time to eat I just wasn’t feeling very good. I was falling asleep on the couch so Eric and I decided to go to bed. I took a shower and when I got out a little bit of water started dripping down my leg, I thought maybe I hadn’t dried myself all the way but then it kept dripping. I told Eric, “I think my water just broke”. He saw the expression on my face and starting racing around the house grabbing the suitcase and everything else. I very calmly got a towel and gathered my belongings. I was mad because I wanted to straighten my hair before I left, going to the hospital with wet hair was setting me up for a couple days of bad hair in lots of pictures. As we were leaving I asked Eric if he had checked our hospital list in which he replied with screw the checklist. We proceeded on our way to the hospital, I called the doctor and he said, take your time, take a shower or eat a meal, first time labor can take up to 16 hours. When we got to the hospital my contractions were about 7 minutes apart and not very pleasant. The nurse checked me and said I was dilated to a 4. I asked for the epidural right away and made the nice man promise me it wouldn’t wear off. He promised and began to talk me through the shot, I kindly asked him not to and to please just give me the drugs. About a half an hour later the nurse said I was now dilated to a 6 ½ and things were quickly moving along. I wasn’t in any pain at this point and surprised that I was extremely calm. The doctor came back in an hour later and told me I had already dilated to a 10 and that if I was ready I could start pushing. Wow, it all happened so fast, I was in complete shock. Eric and I both couldn’t believe this was really it, this is really happening. Twenty long minutes later, baby Carter was born at 12:31 am December 2, 2008 weighing in at 7.9lbs. and 18.5inches long.

And the rest is to be continued, I have a little one to feed.

No comments: