Thursday, August 28, 2008

A little scare. . .

Well I haven’t been around to update because I just spent the last 5 nights in the hospital. It was quite the traumatic experience but will start off by saying Baby Carter is fine and mama is in the process of recovering.

On Saturday morning I woke up with what I thought was a bladder infection however only having one in my life I wasn’t sure. I called the doctor and he gave me an antibiotic. I continued throughout the day with the most horrible back pain and abdominal pain. By 3 o’clock I called Eric at work, he said to call the doctor and he was on his way home. This pain was so bad, I couldn’t even walk, half the time I would crawl to the bathroom. Eric got home and tried to comfort me but nothing was working. The doctor had told us before vicadin was okay during pregnancy for extreme cases. I took one, mind you I haven’t even taken Tylenol during my pregnancy. It worked for about 2 or 3 hours and the pain started back up in full force. By 10 o’clock Eric called the hospital and they told me to come in, there was no way I would have made it through the night feeling that pain.

We arrived in the birthing center where they hooked baby and me up to the monitor to make sure he was okay and of course little one was playing soccer in my belly as usual. Every nurse that came in that night said, “My I can’t believe how active he is!” I was pricked and probed and finely admitted to the hospital at about midnight on Saturday. They put me on morphine for the pain and kept me up all night monitoring the baby and I which was fine because I would have rather known he was okay.

The next couple days were absolutely horrible. Don’t ever go into a hospital on a weekend, answers will never come before a weekday. And the birthing center never has a full time doctor there, just an on call doctor. You have about a twenty minute window and when you can be seen. So Monday they started testing me for the pain which they had figured was coming from my left kidney. An ultra sound had shown no activity from the left side but the right side was working fine. The first doctor thought that I had kidney stones, little did I know it would take the entire hospital stay for them to figure that out. They continued with test after test (all safe for baby), but on a hospital schedule, excuse me I mean no schedule, you are lucky if they pick you up with a 5 hour window of when they said they would be there.

A run down of my stay . . . a million tests, constant pain, IVs in both arms, daily blood drawn, constipation (for 5 long days and every remedy tried with no success until the 5th day and Diane’s lovely apricots) puking my brains out, internal hemroids, horrible food, a poor frustated husband that somehow kept his sanity, supportive but worried parents and friends, and now the wanting to have my child at home because I never want to go back to a hospital again!

Wednesday morning I had two more tests, an X-ray and a cat scan which confirmed what they had thought all along, kidney stones. Two little stones at the bottom of my left kidney, they are the size of a grain of rice. How can something so little cause so much pain. We left the hospital yesterday at 2 o’clock with pain medicine and a pee strainer. Every time I pee I have to inspect my pee for small pieces of sand like rice. I was also told that labor and kidney stones are on the same level so labor should be a breeze, fabulous! If the stones don’t pass within a week then the next step in to have them removed which would mean surgery and the doctor does not want that during my pregnancy.

I will keep you updated on the progress of my little stones and post pictures of my huge belly soon. It grew twice the size after laying in a hospital bed for 5 days!

No comments: