Saturday, March 21, 2009

Where have we been?






Before children I always asked other mothers that stayed home, "what do you do all day?" Now that I am a mother I completely understand just exactly what they do all day, about a million things but it is almost impossible to someone else just exactly what I do all day. My whole world revolves around little Carter, which I absolutely love being able to spend every moment with. Going back to work next month is going to be tough. I cry just about every time I even talk about it. I may try to smuggle him into school under my shirt. He is such a wonderful child, no one would probably notice although feeding may be a little challenging. Can you imagine me in the front of my classroom with my hooter hider (a cover you wear when nursing, for those of you who may not know) on feeding my child while teaching? I truly do miss teaching and all of my beautiful kindergartners but I don't know how I am going to manage without my little bug by my side. Eric will be home with him in the morning and Carter will only have to be watched for 4 hours a day and one full day. I am thinking it will also be good for his development to be around other kids. The place I plan on taking him is small and she will only have two other kids there. It is going to be tough and I am not looking forward to it.

Last week we went to Children's hospital to meet with a Genetics counselor. Our family doctor had suggested it if we had planned on having future children. There are some couples who will only have children born with Down syndrome. Eric and I were not 100% sure what we would do with the information once we got it, but decided we would cross that bridge when we got there. I was relieved to know none of us had to have any more blood taken. Children's hospital had analyzed the blood work from when Carter was born. We were informed that Carter's condition was not caused by either one of us. As a couple Eric and I had a 1 in 1200 chance of having a child born with DS. The Genetics doctor took a lot of time to explain the various forms of DS and told us about the form Carter has which is Trisomy 21 ,the most common form of DS. Trisomy 21 means on Carter's 21st chromosome the DNA was spilt into three parts instead of just two. We don't know exactly how it could effect Carter but want to focus more on the positive now. The problem with "science" is it doesn't tell about the positive or how their little face can light up a room and how his smile can just about make me cry every time. Carter is amazing now and will grow to be even more amazing every day from now. I am so lucky to be his mommy!

No comments: